Tania,

I don't think safety is a matter of pleasure and convenience.  However, I do
look for value in whatever product or service I purchase for myself and on
my employers behalf.

If any supplier is going to cost our company more money and time to market,
we need to know a sound engineering reason why.  Labs are no exception.
After all, if we don't make money on this product, how will we pay to safety
test the next one?

Actually, your reply sort helped me with my point.   Even your reply notes
that authorities will go after the manufacturer, not the NRTL.  That's why
manufacturers need to take responsibility (regardless of whether they use an
NRTL mark or not).  I believe that the option of self declaration (if it's
available) should always be considered.

I'm not against NRTL's.  I think that their efforts have made our lives
better and more safe.  I just think that we can't give them carte blanch
when it comes to turning down perfectly good data from other labs.  We need
to ask why and we need to be provided with a sound engineering reason.  We
also need to be informed of all of the other accreditation schemes out there
for labs such as A2LA and NVLAP.  As compliance engineers, we need to be
informed consumers.  It keeps us on our toes, keeps the NRTL's on their toes
and pushes them to harmonize with one another so that we all spend more time
finding real safety issues as opposed to getting into "I'm better than you
are" contests between labs.

Personally, I applaud Doug for taking his lab to task.  Even though he found
out that he indeed needs the fuse, he made a "learning mistake".  The act of
asking the question allowed him to learn the engineering reason why.  It
also may have taught other readers of the forum.   It's a lesson he'll never
forget and his future products will be safer because of it.   I just wonder
why he didn't find out sooner.  It seemed like a fairly straightforward
issue that his engineer would have been able to articulate to him before he
came to the group with his "beef".

I also applaude the NRTL that Doug used and their engineer.  They did their
homework,  had a legitimate concern and stood firm.

It always pays to ask why and what we might learn is worth risking some "egg
on the face".

Personally, I like mine scrambled with some chopped swiss chard, milk and
corn meal.  New potatoes, home fried in olive oil on the side don't hurt.
The "conditions of acceptability" for scrambled eggs don't rule out a little
hot sauce on the end product either.  I'm getting hungry ...