Joe,
First, use Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) for the actual manuals. This is rapidly
becoming the defacto world standard for on-line documentation. You can link
to them from .html web pages easily. You can also burn them onto a CD-ROM if
you need to include manuals with the product.

Acrobat has a catalog feature that will allow the user to click on a title
in the document and immediately open that page. In my current assignment, I
regularly retrieve .pdf integrated circuit specifications from the
manufacturers web pages. The printed pages are razor sharp, 8-1/2" x 11"
data sheets. You can (with the licensed software) print to a .pdf file from
any application, including schematic packages. The reader is available for
free. I once demonstrated the ability of Acrobat for a client. By clicking
on the appropriate line of a top level Bill of Material the appropriate
document was immediately displayed - Schematic, PCB artwork, mechanical
drawing, component specification, etc.

The down side is that you need a modern computer and laser printer to get
the most out of it. I have no experience with how the EC and various
agencies feel about this. All the documentation I worked with was for
company personnel and technically savvy customers.

Scott Lacey
P.S. Disclosure: I have no financial interest in Adobe Systems or any other
software company. I just like the product!