From: Rich Nute [mailto:ri...@sdd.hp.com]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2000 10:18 AM
To: gary.mcintu...@worldwidepackets.com
Cc: dick.grob...@medgraph.com; marti...@appliedbiosystems.com;
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: UL Acceptance of On-Line Manuals

Safety standards specify topics which must be
addressed in manuals.  Only those portions of
the manual addressing those specific safety
topics are "controlled" by the certifier.  The
remainder of the manual is "controlled" by the
product manufacturer; this remainder may be
provided in any form the manufacturer chooses.

So, the manual can be considered as consisting
of two sets of data:

1)  data required by the safety standard; and

2)  data provided by the manufacturer (e.g.,
    instructions on how to install, operate,
    and service the equipment).

The certifier cannot tell us how to run our
business with regard to item 2.  The manufacturer
can provide the data in any form he chooses.

Data required by the safety standard can be
subdivided into two parts:

a)  data required for installation (i.e., up
    to the point where data could be read from
    an electronic format); and

b)  data required after installation.

Clearly, any safety data required before the
unit can display electronic data, (a), must
be provided in hard-copy or equivalent form.
Data for (b) can be provided in electronic
format.

In my experience, certifiers accept these kinds
of categorization of manual safety data.

Regards,
Rich

ps:

>   I have approached UL with the request...

    Asking permission (e.g., from a certifier)
    empowers the other party to determine how
    you will behave and what you need to do to
    satisfy him.  Often, such empowerment
    results in decisions well beyond the range
    or outside the bounds of the standard.  In
    the end, you are often stuck with an
    onerous requirement that does not coincide
    with either safety or business needs.

    I address such issues with a proposal
    together with a rationale why my proposal
    meets the standard or the intent of the
    standard.  This enables a discussion of the
    principles that are involved, and does not
    empower the other party to make decisions
    for me.