forwarding for Constance.

From:   Constance R. Brown
[mailto:constance.br...@conformityassessment.com.cnchost.com]
Sent:   Wednesday, July 05, 2000 8:40 AM
To:     Nick Williams; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject:        RE: FDA requirements

Nick,

The best site for all this information is the FDA site itself: www.fda.gov.
Click on the medical device section on the home page.
Then choose Premarket issues.
And, then approval & clearance. That will take you through the
classification process & provide you with the various requirements for
device approval in order to achieve market clearance.
You also should consider the use of recognized standards & the possibility
of third-party review.
Post market considerations can be found under the GMP/QS section. You should
also review the device design & labeling sections.
I have included the three classifications for thermometer's for you-so it
depends on the specific use of your device.
Thermometer, clinical color change, Class I, CFR 880.2900---exempt from a
510k filing
Thermometer, electronic, clinical, Class II, CFR 880.2910-requires a 510k
filing
Thermometer, clinical mercury, Class II, CFR 880.2920-class II-exempt from
510k
For Class I devices a premarket notification application (510k) is not
required before marketing the device in the US. Nonetheless, the
manufacturer is still required to register their establishment by submitting
Form FDA 2891, Initial Registration of Device Establishment, and list the
generic category of classification name of the device by submitting Form FDA
2892, Device Listing.
Some Class II devices are now exempt from premarket notification
requirements as the FDA believes its resources would be better used
elsewhere. (E.g.: 880.2920). You'll still need to complete the
above-mentioned forms.
The thermometer, electronic, clinical device (880.2910) is also a candidate
for both Accredited Persons & Mutual Recognition Agreement Programs.
Let me know if I can provide additional info for you.

Kind Regards,
Constance Brown
constance.br...@conformityassessment.com
Tel: 978-524-9890