As far as I am aware, the FDA requirements (21CFR) relate to the emission
of X-rays from CRTs within monitors. We always state that any LCD displays
within our products are therefore exempt from the FDA requirements.

I also have on file a letter to "all manufacturers and importers of
television
receivers", from the FDA, dated January 31, 1994, which states : -
"Policy: It is the position of the National Center for Devices and
Radiological Health that television receivers using liquid crystal displays
and containing no high voltage vacuum tubes or other components which
can generate x radiation, are not subject to the Federal performance
standard for television receivers (21CFR 1020.10)".

As I am sure you are aware, the FDA considers that VDUs, monitors,
and similar products are subject to 21CFR 1020.

As an aside, given that the FDA requirements are the same as those in
UL1950,
isn't it about time you got the law changed to allow UL Listing/Recognition
to be
an acceptable substitute to the tedious FDA requirements ? In any case, I
have yet
to get to get a reading from the front of a monitor with my Victoreen 440
RF/C
x-ray meter.  Indeed, although I get it calibrated each year, I have no way
of
knowing whether it is working, since I can never get a reading !!
John Crabb, Development Excellence (Product Safety) ,
NCR  Financial Solutions Group Ltd.,  Kingsway West, Dundee, Scotland. DD2
3XX
E-Mail :john.cr...@scotland.ncr.com
Tel: +44 (0)1382-592289  (direct ). Fax +44 (0)1382-622243.   VoicePlus
6-341-2289.