From: ted.eck...@apcc.com [mailto:ted.eck...@apcc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 9:12 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Wiring under raised floors

Is it permissible to place electrical receptacles under the raised floor of
a computer room?  Can power cords pass through openings in the raised floor
or do all power connections need to be in conduit?  I have received two
opinions; one stating that receptacles must be accessible above floor level
and the other stating that receptacles can be placed below the floor.

The United States National Electrical Code is a bit vague on the subject,
although Article 645-5 (d) (2) seems to imply that conduit is only required
up to the receptacle.  I can find no references to raised floor
installations in the Canadian Electrical Code or BS 7671, IEE Wiring
Regulations.

Ted Eckert
Regulatory Compliance Engineer
American Power Conversion Corporation
ted.eck...@apcc.com

The items contained in this e-mail reflect the personal opinions of the
writer and are only provided for the assistance of the reader.  The writer
is not speaking in an official capacity for APC nor representing APC's
official position on any matter.