    From: Peter Tarver <ptar...@nortelnetworks.com>
    To: emc-p...@ieee.org <emc-p...@ieee.org>
    Date: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 8:48 AM
    Subject: RE: Wiring under raised floors

    Ted -

    At issue, really, is whether or not the under side of the raised floor is
used for environmental air, not simply that it's in a computer room.  For the
question at hand, though, I'll assume that's the case.

    My first inclination is to say it's not allowed.  If you also look at
300-22 of the NEC, you'll note that devices generally aren't allowed in
environmental air spaces.  However, if the devices are used in the "other
spaces" loosely described in 300-22(c), there's the option of the device being
certified for the application.  I can imagine receptacles being made entirely
of thermosetting materials that could quite possibly comply with the relevant
requirements (say, in UL910) and being allowed under the raised floor.

    Ultimately, though, it comes down to what the local Authority Having
Jurisdiction has to say about an installation.  Some may argue against your
scenario, while others may not care.

    Regards,

    Peter L. Tarver, PE
    ptar...@nortelnetworks.com