Luiz,

The applicable standards would depend on the product, e.g. whether it is
a laser printer (ITE) with the necessary fuser, or a hair dryer, or a coffee
maker.  However, it is my understanding that most products involving heating
devices would require two components, i.e. a temperature controlling device
(thermostat) and a fail-safe device (thermal fuse).

ITE standards require safety after any single fault.  If the control device
fails in a shorted mode, what prevents the heating element from melting the
product and potentially starting an external fire?

At least for ITE, a bimetal thermostat would not also serve as the protection
device unless there is no possible way to fail in the shorted mode.

George

---------------- Forwarded by George Alspaugh/Lex/Lexmark on 09/21/2000 08:45 AM

jim_bacher%mail.monarch....@interlock.lexmark.com on 09/21/2000 10:46:00 AM

Please respond to jim_bacher%mail.monarch....@interlock.lexmark.com