From: fwhitfi...@rheintech.com [mailto:fwhitfi...@rheintech.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2000 9:44 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: LVD voltage range.

Hello all,

Does a hand-held field device that operates mainly on 12Vdc from a
group of batteries and alternatively uses an AC/DC adapter need to be
assessed for safety according to the LVD?

I read somewhere that for LVD the DC voltage should be between 75 and
1500V. Does this mean that such a device does not need to be evaluated
for safety at all ? A client is awaiting a response from me in a
couple of hours so I would appreciate any views on this matter.

Thanks for your usual co-operation.

John Whitfield
Safety Engineer
Rhein Tech Labs