Hi Gary:

Somewhere in my past, I've heard the rationale for
this conundrum.  I'm just guessing here.

Power cords and similar mains devices are sized
based on rated load, and are not sized based on
fault-condition load.

The requirement should be that, under fault
conditions, the device is capable of withstanding
the fault until the overcurrent device operates
without igniting or otherwise causing a hazard.
It can get hot; indeed, it can exceed rated
temperature under the fault, and it can fail,
but it should not ignite or otherwise cause a
hazardous condition.

A power cord is supposed to be sufficiently robust
as to withstand the rigors of use.  There are
different degrees of robustness according to use.
In other words, the power cord itself is not
expected to fail under normal conditions of use.

So, the power cord should only be subject to load
faults.  Since the load is protected against
faults, the fault-protection in the load also
provides fault-protection for the power cord.

Best regards,
Rich