This understanding (appended e-mail below) is correct AFAIK. I also checked
out the website http://www.conformance.co.uk and they seem to agree with
the notion it doesn't really mean anything *any more*. Here is an excerpt
from
their site ..

"We quite often get asked what the 'CE' in the CE logo stands for.

If anything it probably stands for Communitee Europeen being the French way
of saying European Community. It could also represent Conformite Europeen.
However, it is far from certain that whoever invented the mark (some
bureaucrat in Brussels) had anything particular in mind other than to
create a logo which would be universally recognised in the European Union,
and given all the national prejudices about language in the different
countries of the EU, even if the original inventor had something specific
in mind, it was probably conveniently forgotten by the time it became
'official'. So, officially, it's just a logo and has no linguistic meaning.

Best regards

- Chris