Lauren,
I spend a significant part of my free time working with mobile
pressure vessels. As a steam railway locomotive fireman and
repairer, I have to rely, for my continued well-being, on sound
engineering practice.  This has been developed over the last
200 years, often learning from some spectacular failures.
When we rebuild a boiler, it is subjected to detailed third party
inspection and proof testing before we can obtain insurance
cover to use the loco. Every year, a boiler inspector comes to
perform a repeat inspection and safety test, so that we can
continue for the next year. Sometimes this involves an
ultrasound test for plate corrosion. After ten years, all the
fire-tubes are removed and any suspect plates or stays replaced.
This is in addition to the visual inspection I perform before lighting
the fire at the start of the day.
The sound engineering practice relies not only on the original plate
thickness and rivet spacing, but also on regular maintenance,
inspection and testing throughout the working life of the pressure
vessel. A combination of good original design followed by regular
verification, with the bottom line being the ability to satisfy an
insurance company's inspector.

Best regards,
Geoff Lister
Senior Engineer