Hi Lauren:

>   Does anyone have a practical or authoritative definition of "Sound
>   Engineering Practice?".

The key word is "sound."  Presumably we all know
what "engineering practice" is.

I checked Merriam-Webster's on-line Collegiate
Dictionary and found the following definition.
The 3rd definition would seem to apply in this
case.

    Main Entry: sound
    Pronunciation: 'saund
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gesund;
    akin to Old High German gisunt healthy
    Date: 13th century
    1 a : free from injury or disease : exhibiting normal
    health b : free from flaw, defect, or decay <sound
    timber>
    2 : SOLID, FIRM; also : STABLE
    3 a : free from error, fallacy, or misapprehension <sound
    reasoning> b : exhibiting or based on thorough
    knowledge and experience <sound scholarship> c :
    legally valid <a sound title> d : logically valid and
    having true premises e : agreeing with accepted views :
    ORTHODOX
    4 a : THOROUGH b : deep and undisturbed <a sound
    sleep> c : HARD, SEVERE <a sound whipping>
    5 : showing good judgment or sense
    synonym see HEALTHY, VALID

Presumably, all engineering practice (at least
by the subscribers of this forum) is (or should
be) sound.  Indeed, I suggest that "sound
engineering" is nearly a tautology.  (Look that
up in your dictionary!)

Given the definition, I would suggest that the
determination of whether a design represents
"sound engineering practice" will be in the eyes
of the regulator, not in the eyes of the designer.
Its a "lose-win" situation.  You lose, the
regulator wins.

You do the best job you can to soundly design the
product in accordance with the standard.  This
may mean that the designer should get up from his
chair and take specific actions in regard of 3a,
3b, 3d, and 3e of the definition.

You said, "One aspect of conformance is dependent
on the application of "Sound Engineering Practice."

I think it is smoke.  The statement would be
nonsense without the word "sound."

Its a weasel-word that says the standard doesn't
cover everything.  Which they could not say.

Best regards,
Rich