Dear All,

I have read one BSEN standard suggesting not to perform hipot testing at
the test voltage, 3kV, 1.25kV or 3.75kV in mass production.  The reason is
that it might introduce potential failure in future operation by the
customer not immediate failure.  It also suggests if hipot testing is done
on production line, lower testing voltage, i.e., 1/2 of test voltage should
be applied.  I would like to have comments on this concern while doing
hipot test on production line or other modern way to replace the hipot test
on production line.

Thanks and regards,
..
Raymond Li
Omni Source Asia Ltd.
Phone: +852-2542 5303
Email: raymond...@omnisourceasia.com.hk
Fax: +852-2541 9067

                    John Woodgate

                    <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk>         To:
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
                    Sent by:                       cc:

                    owner-emc-pstc@majordom        Subject:     Re:
Manufacturing Hipot Testing
                    o.ieee.org

                    22/08/01 01:39 a

                    Please respond to John

                    Woodgate

I read in !emc-pstc that Doug McKean <dmck...@corp.auspex.com> wrote (in
<001001c12a54$2b315f80$3e3e3...@corp.auspex.com>) about 'Manufacturing
Hipot Testing', on Tue, 21 Aug 2001:

>IMHO, if I were to address the initial question regarding
>manufactoring
>testing of a product bound for Europe - unless there were some severe
>national deviation differences from a similar type of US domestic
>approval
>of the product, I'd continue along with hi-pot testing just as if the
>product
>were bound for a domestic (US) market.

Well, you have come to the right conclusion but for two wrong reasons.

In Europe, there are no longer any 'national approvals' like the old
SEMKO etc. There is ONLY the Low Voltage Directive, and the European
Standards (ENs) that have been 'notified' in the Official Journal as
providing evidence of compliance.

However, most if not all of these ENs have *mandatory requirements* for
100% production-line testing (confusingly called 'routine testing'),
including a 'hi-pot' test.

It is entirely the responsibility of the manufacturer to ensure that the
Declaration of Conformity for the product is true, and to do that he
MAY, but does not have to, employ a test-house to produce a report and
maybe an expensive certificate and grant permission, in return for more
money, to apply a glamorous sticker to the product.
http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk
Eat mink and be dreary!