CORRECTION: ... we do use EN 61010-1 almost ...

                    eric.lif...@ni.com

                    Sent by:                       To:     emc-p...@ieee.org

                    owner-emc-pstc@majordom        cc:

                    o.ieee.org                     Subject:     Re:
Manufacturing Hipot Testing

                    08/20/2001 05:14 PM

                    Please respond to

                    eric.lifsey

Interesting points.  This provoked me to look again into a standard that
I've examined but never used, BS EN 50178:1998, Electronic equipment for
use in power installations.  It covers safety, EMC, and environmental
conditions.  It is 99 pages long, it's informative Annex A starts on page
72, so more that 25% of the standard is informative.  However, we do use EN
61616-1 almost exclusively and have routinely specified hipot testing, and
it does't hurt that we also have the explicit encouragement of a 3rd party
approval.

Back to topic.

Our manufacturing people view the hipot test as useful for detecting
defects, possibly because the hipot tester and control software are linked
into a database which makes operating and tracking the results of this test
automatic.  I wonder if it wasn't for the software/database linkage that
the hipot test might not enjoy as much acceptance by manufacturing.  If the
hipot test is made easy to set and operate, then it might be considered
useful rather than some arcane obligation.

Eric Lifsey
National Instruments