This has come up everywhere I've worked. In order to adequately test for
vulnerability, logically, one has to apply a discharge during each of the
operating conditions an equipment might take. Given the number of different
logical states a microprocessor-controlled EUT might use, this could take
forever! From the standpoint of doing a conscientious test, it would be
desirable to test MORE often than once per second.

But because the real-world ESD event is an isolated one, repeated
discharges are not a realistic test. Also, many devices incorporate
built-in ESD protection using protective parts of limited dissipation, and
it is possible testing TOO often will destroy the protection circuit. Once
per second turns out to be a compromise, and one which may be followed
without being too persnickety.

What about a longer interval? Sure -- provided we test all of the logic
states that might be latched up by the discharge! Ten discharges per point,
plus and minus, at each of the voltage levels prescribed, will probably
turn up enough of them to pin down a susceptible device no matter WHAT the
interval is. One hour? Well, if you can afford to do thirty hours of test,
you can do three points at ONE voltage level. One minute? Still takes a
long time. And let's face it; this is mind-numbing work. So one second
seems to ME to be just about right. Let the poor tech -- or the poor
engineer! -- take a break once in a while!

I'll add that there may be failure modes that take longer than one second
to show up. You want to do the test in such a way that the tester can note
and adjust to this; I once tested something that had a 30 second delay
before a failure showed up. This can't be helped, and, in this particular
case, one second is far too often.

Cortland Richmond