Greetings,
Let me add something to Joe's position (which I agree with entirely)
based upon my experience at a former job.  Some products with no ground
or not so great grounds will need time (one sec or sometimes more)
between discharges to ensure that there is no build up of charge on the
system.  Not only does charge buildup reduce the effect of same polarity
discharges, but just think of the discharge level when a unit with a few
kV of charge suddenly gets hit with a -XkV event after the polarity
change.  The effective net discharge is way over the spec and can often
cause perceived failures.
  For the case of no ground (say a handheld battery powered device), a
high impedance drain should be used to remove the charge.  Ever pick up
a handheld device charged to around 8kV?

Best regards
Dave Heald