I make them ground it with appropriately spaced vias.

-----Original Message-----
From: Perry Qu [mailto:perry...@alcatel.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 4:19 PM
To: Roman, Dan
Cc: 'Stephen Phillips'; rehel...@mmm.com; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org;
DORIN OPREA
Subject: Re: Copper Thieving

Hi! Dan:

I understand that EMC guys don't want to see the floating coppers on the PCB
because of ESD and/or emission problem. But on the manufacture side, they
claim
that if you don't do copper balance on the layer where you have large area
without copper, you will sure have over-eching in that area, plus warpage of
the
board.

The question is, where do we find a compromised solution that makes everyone
happy ?

Regards

Perry