Hi Craig:

Be careful:

> EN61000-3-2 - Applies only to products with input power higher than
> 75W.  Per paragraph 7.4 of the standard, "no limits apply for equipment
> with an active input power up to and including 75W".

No.  The standard does NOT say that it applies only
to products with input power higher than 75 watts.

The standard says that no *limits* apply to products
with input power less than 75 watts.  The standard
still applies!  Your equipment is NOT exempt from the
standard.

Read the standard carefully.  The scope statement
tells what equipment the standard applies to:  All
equipment.  Then, the standard says there are no
*limits* for products with input power less than 75
watts.  This means that you need not measure your
product since the results would be meaningless.

Your equipment *complies* with the standard.  Since
there are no limits, you need not make a measurement
for proof of compliance.

> If a product does not fall under the applicability of EN61000-3-2 or
> EN61000-3-3 per the above explanations, what is the consensus regarding
> referencing these standards on the DoC?

*All* products fall under EN 61000-3-2.  If your
product is rated less than 75 watts, then there
are no limits, and a measurement is not required
for determining conformance.

Because the product is subject to EN 61000-3-2,
you must reference the standard -- and indicate
compliance -- on your DoC.

> If a product does not fall under the applicability of EN61000-3-2 or
> EN61000-3-3 per the above explanations, what is the consensus regarding
> referencing these standards on the DoC?

*All* products fall under EN 61000-3-2.  You *must*
claim compliance on your DoC.  Your documentation
back-up to your claim need only say that the unit
is rated less than 75 watts, for which there are no
applicable limits.

> Recently I have been asked to sign a document from one of our
> distributors that states all product provided after 01/01/01 will comply
> with EN61000-3-2 and EN61000-3-3.  However, my products fall outside the
> scope of these standards (per above explanations), so what I am
> wondering is can I say I comply because I have evaluated the standards
> and found they are not applicable.  I face the same dilemma on the
> DoC's.  Is it reasonable to claim compliance via non-applicability?

No products are outside the scope of EN 61000-3-2.
Some products, e.g., those rated less than 75 watts,
have no limits applicable to them.  Therefore,
without measurement, such products *do* comply with
the requirements of the standard!

You cannot claim compliance by claiming the standard
is not applicable.  It *is* applicable.  Your product
(if less than 75 watts) complies with the standard
(without measurement since there are no limits).

Best regards,
Rich