I read in !emc-pstc that Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com> wrote
(in <20011231204639.HFSF617.femail38.sdc1.sfba.home.com@[65.11.150.27]>)
about 'EMC-related safety issues', on Mon, 31 Dec 2001:

>In a court of law one must swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and
>nothing but the truth.

Indeed, but it is, of course, fatuous. One cannot tell if one even KNOWS
the whole truth about anything, let alone whether one will be allowed by
procedures and/or the wording of questions by counsel, to state the
whole truth.

>What you stated below is merely part of the truth.
>The rest of the truth is that spurious emissions emitted by unintentional
>radiators (the kinds of emissions controlled by CISPR 22 and Title 47, part
>15B of the US Code of Federal Regulations) are at such low levels that there
>is no ability to cause an adverse reaction to anything except a radio
>receiver.  It is only the field intensities associated with intentional rf
>transmissions that are capable of stimulating electronics operating at
>higher levels than radio receivers.

Well, not 'no' ability, but the probability of significant interference
is extremely low in the vast majority of cases. Of course, where safety-
of-life is involved, we want the probability to be of the order of
10^-9, but this is not generally very difficult. Highly-sensitive
systems should have very high immunity, and this includes receivers, in
respect of out-of-band signals. It seems that civilian aircraft
electronic systems do not have a very high level of immunity.

We can begin to see why this subject is controversial.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.