Personally, I could list a ton of stuff that would instill
fear and loathing amongst the fainest of EMC hearts.

Sitting in a jet airliner at the end of the runway readying
for take-off and watching the cabin lights dim slightly in
sync with the sweep of the main radar dish just a couple
of hundred yards away.

ESD events in the kitchen area of the airliner causing
the phone in the cockpit at the other end of the plane
to ring making the pilot pickup to answer.

ESD events in the control tower of an airport causing
the computer and other essential equipment to crash.

Enough spurious radiation events to require laptops and
cell phones to be turned off upon takeoff or landing.
Why?  Am I and hundreds of others trusting out lives on
something so ... sensitve?  But we think nothing of dialing
up the cell phone inside a car packed with digital controls
for things like the brakes, the accelerator, gas control ...
The automobile industry does its best to test for the
severest of electrical events with lightning simulations.
But what about internal to the car less than a meter away?

And by the way, do they allow cell phones and laptops
in that airport control tower?  Do they have conductive
floors and require people to wear ESD proof shoes?

Define safety related issues?  Does it necessarily have to
do with physical safety?  How about the spurious radiations
from an ATM being decoded by someone nearby to gain
access to your bank account to drain it?

Sorry.  Must be the "Day After New Year's Day" effect ...

- Doug McKean