To all

I will add a little to what previous emc-pstc denizens have said about the
34970A. I use this unit extensively for production, HALT and safety testing.
This unit can be ordered (recommended) with the DMM option. This will make
the unit similar to the 34401 DMM, my favorite 6.5 digit meter. It is
good-to-go out of the box w/supplied software.

I would attempt to avoid using the serial port; you will eventually want to
control several instruments, and GPIB is currently the only practical/robust
solution for this...(at least until something like USB/1394 is on
everything).

I have used many ISA/PCI bus-based data acquisition boards, and have had
"more than one problem" with these solutions; and always return to discrete
instruments. I also prefer to use instruments that have embedded SCPI. Also,
calibration of "I/O cards" can be problematic. I am not certain that you can
demonstrate tracibility of these "cards" from one computing platform to
another; and all of the agencies I deal with accept data from the 34970, but
some tend to doubt data from these "I/O cards."

Avoid writing a lot of user interface code. It will only detract from the
primary purpose of evaluating the UUT and test documentation. If using a
Win-tel box, consider using COM/ActiveX to glue and stream data between the
device driver and Word/Access/Excel/Etc. Let other people do the "Grunt"
coding, you are doing compliance engineering.

Most data acquisition tasks are already "built into" MS Office or Lotus
SmartSuite.