I read in !emc-pstc that cherryclo...@aol.com wrote (in <131.6a66623.296
70...@aol.com>) about 'EMC-related safety issues', on Fri, 4 Jan 2002:
>As I recall, the EU's Product Liability Directive (85/374/EEC amended by
>99/34/EC) requires manufacturers to produce products that are: "as safe as
>people generally have the right to expect".

I believe it does.

>Note that it does not require things to be 100% safe - that is impossible.

Indeed.

>The real problem is that whether a product really is  "as safe as people
>generally have the right to expect" is usually tested in a court of law where
>there are lots of photographs of a dead or maimed person or a burnt-down
>building, or whatever.
>
>It is difficult to argue that your product is safe enough when there are
>relatives sobbing all over the courtroom.

Indeed.

>The trick, I believe, is not to be in that position in the first place.
>Design your products using the latest safety knowledge and test them well to
>discover if they have any weaknesses you did not address.

How do you decide what tests to do **for weaknesses you don't suspect**?
Isn't that fundamentally impossible?

>And yes, you must consider foreseeable misuse and stupid users too. (The
>trouble with trying to make something foolproof is that fools are so
>ingenious!)

Exactly! Is replacing the mains fuse in a product with a bit of fencing
wire 'foreseeable misuse'? I have put this question to an IEC safety
committee; it's not just a debating point!

>Then hopefully you won't ever find yourself trying to defend your design
>decisions in a court of law.

Hopefully! Will your CEO accept that 'hopefully' your design won't put
him in jail for corporate manslaughter? But can you ever give a better
assurance than 'hopefully', at the necessary 1 in a billion probability
level? I think not.

>Also, your company's exposure to significant financial and commercial risks
>will be reduced - this is the key to justifying the expense of good safety
>design to your employers.

But it seems that the expense of 'good safety design', as determined by
some safety experts, is going through the roof.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.