"Warranted" parts for a car is a whole other discussion.
Warranties are simply for as long as the mfr/dealer want
to do the contract.  I'm not sure if there's a law concerning
minimum time of warranty or if it's simply driven by the
free market.

Supplying a parts inventory by the car mfr is I think is
required for a maximum of up to 10 years.  The contract
for making that part is then picked up by some other
shop who thinks they can turn a profit.

I can't imagine Moter Vehicles passing a car for inspection
with a big gaping hole in the dash or steering column where
the air bag used to be.  But I'll be the first to admit that I
don't know any of the laws requiring parts such as selt
belts and air bags being replaced years down the road.
I did have an experience back in the early 80's in trying
to replace a faulty seatbelt with a used one and I was
prohibited from doing that.  I had to buy a new one.
That was back in CT so that may have been a state
thing.

I can only think of at least one or two modes of transportation
that are covered by federal law for replacement parts being
available for the entire life of the thing for as long as that
may be - jet airliners and trains.  Elevators and escalators also
come to mind as well.

Anyone here work at Otis?

- Doug McKean