Rich

Do you use Google.com for searches. I did a search on "water conductivity"
yesterday and got a lot of hits with typical values. Many related to biological
studies.

See, for example http://www.dartmouth.edu/~bio59/conductivity.htm

-Jason

Rich Nute <ri...@sdd.hp.com> wrote:

>Hi John:
>

>>   >Is there a value (or range of values) for the
>>   >     resistance of water?
>>
>>   The data exists; it depends, of course, on solute nature and
>>   concentration. Try a web search.
>
>I did a web search before my post.  There is lots of
>data on the use of water resistance and water
>conductivity, but I found nothing on the values of
>water resistance or water conductivity.
>
>Somewhere in yesterday's web search, I recall having seen
>a reference to DI water has being 18 megohms maximum, and
>ordinary water being in the neighborhood of 2 kilohms.
>But, neither of these values was well-documented, and
>questionable as to applicability to the question at hand,
>so I did not quote them.
>
>I did another search today.
>
>Water conductivity measurements are used to estimate the
>total dissolved salts (TDS) in the water.  This site
>explains TDS and gives conductivity values for various
>lakes:
>
>    http://wow.nrri.umn.edu/wow/under/parameters/conductivity.html
>
>(The last two paragraphs of this URL are recommended
>reading.)
>
>This URL has lake and ocean water ranging from 100,000
>ohms to 23 ohms and even 6 ohms.
>
>I found a water conductivity meter that measures up to
>1999 milliSiemens.  This would correspond to 0.5 ohm.
>This would imply the resistance of water would range
>from infinite to something on the order of 50 ohms
>(assuming the meter range would exceed the expected
>values by 100X).  Perhaps this meter is a conductivity
>cell, but the specs do not describe it as such.
>

> http://www.sentry-products.co.uk/Products/Water%20Conductivity%20Meters$20Body.htm
>
>I find it disturbing that the web does not have more
>published values for water conductivity.  I wonder if
>this is because there are no "standard" values for
>water resistance?  I suspect that the values are
>completely variable and unpredictable.  I would think
>that water supply authorities would publish EC and TDS
>of the water supplied to customers as these are
>measures of water "hardness."
>
>>   >Is there a standard way of
>>   >     measuring the resistance of water?
>>
>>   Yes; a conductivity cell. An apparently simple device that isn't. Once
>>   again, a web search will probably disclose more than you ever wanted to
>>   know.
>
>Using your suggestion, I did a search and found limited
>(not more than I ever wanted to know) information on the
>conductivity cell:
>
>    http://www.ussl.ars.usda.gov/answers/mc0.htm
>
> http://www.thermo.com/eThermo/CDA/Products/Product_Listing/0,1086,10000000007687-161-161,00.html
>
>The first URL explains the theory of operation in general
>terms.
>
>The second URL is a manufacturer of conductivity cells.
>

>Best regards,
>Rich

>with the single line:
>     unsubscribe emc-pstc

> [...]

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/