If you work at a site with a large air conditioning plant or a chilled water
system, then chances are your facilities
manager will have a conductivity cell. They are used as a very quick means to
monitor water purity and to check for
signs of corrosion.

Units are expressed in uS/cm and technically pure water is non conductive. In
reality all water will contain
conductive ions as soon as it is exposed to CO2 in the atmosphere. The higher
the impurity of the water, the more ions
available and the higher the conductivity. Typical example values would be,

Ultra Pure water <1 uS/cm
De Ionized Water <10uS/cm
Drinking water 500-1200uS/cm
Salt Water 5000-10,000uS/cm

Water temperature is also plays a big factor, higher temp, again more ions, to
higher conductivity.

--

Andrew Carson - Product Safety Engineer, Xyratex, UK
Phone: +44 (0)23 9249 6855 Fax: +44 (0)23 9249 6014