From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of James Collum
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 9:54 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: Compliance Primer

"Reason I ask is I had these questions posed to me by one of our directors.
He wants to learn about compliance. I was caught flat footed. How do you
explain what took you 19 years to learn? And that you really don't know as
much as you think? I showed him my stack of standards but didn't think that
would be a good place for him to start."

I have been pondering this, and would like to suggest a different tack. In
these times of recession he may be attempting to pick your brains prior to
taking some draconian action, so in the same way that a good salesman always
guards his rolodex, I would propose that you do the following.
1) Produce nothing in writing, I think that your showing him a huge stack of
standards was an excellent place to deflect him.
2) When refering to EMC do so in front of a powered up product and make
small circular hand motions when describing magnetic  fields and larger
hand movements for electric fields. Grasp the product firmly when refering
to safety (make sure that your hair style is similar to that of a tv
evangilist for optimum effect).
3) Have anecdotal evidence of the repercussions of short cuts (FCC fines for
non- marked equipment at trade shows, foreign distributors being imprisoned
etc etc).
4) Expand your D of C's for Europe to include every possible directive and
standard that may apply (including the ones about straight bananas) get this
particular director to sign the D of C's, as he is trying to fathom them,
ask him if he has a passport and if he is thinking of a European vacation at
any time soon, when he says "no" reply "excellent!" very quickly and
excitedly.
5) Wear T shirts that reflect 19 plus years of experience (have them made to
order and stone washed to age them if needed). T shirts such as "Shockley,
Bardeen and Bratain, first transistor" may be a bit much but.....  "Zilog
Z80" or "Cromemco S100 bus systems" would be apt.
6) At the quarterly manufacturing audit, get the safety agency rep in a
really foul mood and then whisk him in to see this director.
7) Seek out the most attractive and unobtainable female in your company and
flirt and make passes at her in an outrageous and quirky style.
(this last one has no bearing on compliance but if everyone in the
regulatory field did this someone would be bound to get lucky and then it
would make for an interesting  story at an IEEE EMC society meeting).

Usual caveats, my words not my employers, tongue in cheek, etc etc
Jim