>      "Reason I ask is I had these questions posed to me by one of
>      our directors. He wants to learn about compliance. I was
>      caught flat footed. How do you explain what took you 19
>      years to learn? And that you really don't know as much as
>      you think? I showed him my stack of standards but didn't
>      think that would be a good place for him to start."

I have been pondering this, and would like to suggest a different tack.
In these times of recession he may be attempting to pick your brains
prior to taking some draconian action, so in the same way that a good
salesman always guards his rolodex, I would propose that you do the
following.

1) Produce nothing in writing, I think that your showing him a huge
stack of standards was an excellent place to deflect him.
2) When refering to EMC do so in front of a powered up product and make
small circular hand motions when describing magnetic  fields and larger
hand movements for electric fields. Grasp the product firmly when
refering to safety (make sure that your hair style is similar to that of
a tv evangilist for optimum effect).
3) Have anecdotal evidence of the repercussions of short cuts (FCC fines
for non- marked equipment at trade shows, foreign distributors being
imprisoned etc etc).
4) Expand your D of C's for Europe to include every possible directive
and standard that may apply (including the ones about straight bananas)
get this particular director to sign the D of C's, as he is trying to
fathom them, ask him if he has a passport and if he is thinking of a
European vacation at any time soon, when he says "no" reply "excellent!"
very quickly and excitedly.
5) Wear T shirts that reflect 19 plus years of experience (have them
made to order and stone washed to age them if needed). T shirts such as
"Shockley, Bardeen and Bratain, first transistor" may be a bit much
but.....  "Zilog Z80" or "Cromemco S100 bus systems" would be apt.
6) At the quarterly manufacturing audit, get the safety agency rep in a
really foul mood and then whisk him in to see this director.
7) Seek out the most attractive and unobtainable female in your company
and flirt and make passes at her in an outrageous and quirky style.
(this last one has no bearing on compliance but if everyone in the
regulatory field did this someone would be bound to get lucky and then
it would make for an interesting  story at an IEEE EMC society meeting).

Usual caveats, my words not my employers, tongue in cheek, etc etc

Jim