Dave,

What you say is absolutely true (see attached message)

>From Halliday and Resnick's "Fundamentals of Physics", a "decibel" is
referenced to 1 picoWatt/square meter.  Since I had used this book for three
semesters of physics; I always assumed it was the "Bible".

Alas, it is just another definition to add to the two that you have below.

Maybe the acoustic guys should take a note from the EMC guys and always put
the subscript after the dB.  For instance, there is no doubt what a dBuV/m or
dBmW refers to.  (As long as you can tell that "uV/m" means "micro-Volt per
meter")

To be clear, I would have to say that was thinking in terms of dBpw/m^^2    :-)

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/