I saw a posting which said add 6dB for a factor of 2.  That is incorrect; when
you are dealing with sound.  My apologies to this poster; no disrespect
intended.

When dealing with sound and power, add 3dB for a factor of two.

A factor of two only works out to 6dB if you are dealing with voltage, field
strength (and possibly some other measurements).

There was a long thread which went into the gory mathematical details about a
year ago.  I'll spare everyone the details; but I'd be glad to explain to
anyone who contacts me offline.

For sound, the worst case would be to add 3dB for each shelf.  However, in the
real world, the noise probably won't all add together (there will be
power/phase/frequency differences).

  I saw Paul Hare's response which said to add 13dB for 20 chassis.  That
"sounds" about right to me ;-)

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797 8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/