I think the spurious emissions would be a big problem.  You would be
amazed at the levels of EMI emitted by phones when they are in certain
modes.  While looking at some dual & tri-mode digital phones from 3
different manufacturers (while placing digital calls in the 1800± MHz
range?? or maybe the upper 800's range - I forget), I have seen
emissions that were regularly 20-30+ dB above Class A from 40MHz all the
way up to 1GHz (narrowband spurious, but distributed seemingly randomly
all over the place).

These emissions were from the phone itself on a turntable - no cables,
just the phone taped to a cardboard box.  Anecdotally, think of your PC
speakers - I know a lot of people who know that a TDMA call is coming in
when their speakers click.

I must admit I haven't looked, but maybe the mall stores sell sterile
faceplates? :)

Best Regards,
Dave Heald