I read in !emc-pstc that Han, Delphina <d...@strykerendo.com> wrote (in
<4196ec6cef84454d84b90731c905c50e279...@chopin.endo.strykercorp.com>)
about 'IEC 61010 requirements' on Thu, 20 Feb 2003:

>How about EMC standards? (maybe I should start a new thread...). Will this
>PC have to meet IEC 60601-1-2 for medical? Or EN 55022 for ITE? Bear in mind
>this is in the hospital operating room. I am familiar with medical equipment
>requirements but not so much with ITE, so forgive me if I'm making mistakes
>here.

You make a very important point, by implication. While safety largely
stays within the physical bounds of the equipment and its cables,
radiated emissions don't, by definition, and some conducted emissions
may not. Immunity is even more subtle: the equipment is exposed to an
environment not necessarily foreseen by the manufacturer (although you
*have* foreseen it).

The conclusion has to be that the 'medical' standards for emissions and
immunity should be applied, but **applied with insight**. Provisions of
the standards that are irrelevant for the equipment in question need not
apply, but all such exceptions MUST be documented.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!