Bob,

The statements that you make are true.
The Directive only sets out minimum requirements. Any specific manufacturer
may require suppliers of sub-assemblies to meet some limit that exceeds
these minimum requirements. He is not obliged to accept any and all
sub-assemblies that meet the minimum requirements. Typically, the radiated
immunity requirements are quite low by automotive testing standards. Whereas
the Directive requires immunity to 24V/m, I have heard of manufacturers
testing to 200V/m.
As for immunity to transients, etc, ISO 7637 is very likely to be cited.
Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Neil R. Barker
Compliance Engineering Manager