From: brian_ku...@leco.com [mailto:brian_ku...@leco.com]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 1:04 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re:ESD gun verification

John,

First I would like to say how impressed I am with Jim for building his
own
target.  Reading through his detailed description of all he went through
made me
think the $2000 is well worth it.  I wish I had the skill and resources
to do
stuff like that.

Years ago we used to just air discharge our ESD gun to make sure it was
working
ok.  We never performed a "verification" test. This we thought was
covered by
the annual calibration and assumed that the ESD gun was designed solid
enough to
not have to worry about it.  It wasn't until some of these Laboratory
Accreditation organizations got popular that daily "verification" of
your ESD
gun required the verification of the current waveform.  This makes a
fairly
inexpensive test very expensive for most labs.

In addition to the $5000-$8000 for the ESD gun, now you have to have the
equipment to do "verification".  For us this was a $2000 target, a
faraday cage,
and a $20,000 1Ghz bandwidth digital storage scope.  If you are testing
everyday
your very expensive scope is for the most part dedicated for this
purpose.  You
can use cheaper scopes, but it has to have a high bandwidth and storage
capabilities.  A huge investment no doubt if you want to do it right.
BTW,
don't you also have to verify your scope is working correctly?  Hmmm.

The other issue is with the time involved with performing the
verification test.
To look at all the details of the current waveform for just a few
voltages both
positive and negative polarity plus the time to document and keep
records of it
takes time many customers don't want to pay for.  Somehow you have to
work in
the cost because time is money and someone has to pay for it.  To test
every
voltage level and polarity can take more time than the ESD test itself.
So a
happy reasonable medium has to be found.

In a perfect world someone would invent a little box I can discharge my
ESD gun
into and a little green light would come on to tell me it is operating
OK. If
someone could invent such a box and keep it inexpensive, I would buy
one. Of
course it would probably cost a fortune to get the box calibrated and
how do I
verify the box is working correctly?  Hmmm.

Brian