From: Tyra, John [mailto:john_t...@bose.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 9:13 AM
To: 'Robert Johnson'; 'JP Hare'; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: AC outlet max current

At what duty cycle????

From: Robert Johnson [mailto:john...@itesafety.com]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 10:48 AM
To: 'JP Hare'; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org

Hi Bob,

Indeed, the code allows 100% of the branch circuit current rating to be used
for noncontinuous loads.  However, I don't believe this applies to
plug-and-cord loads.  The NEC seems pretty explicit in this regard.  Have
you seen an exception to table 210.21(B)(2) and section 210.23(a)?

Why would plug-and-cord loads be treated separately if they could be
classified as continuous or noncontinuous anyway?

Best regards,
JP Hare

A noncontinuous load is permitted to use 100% of the circuit rating. Only
continuous loads need the derating.

Bob Johnson
ITE Safety

Title: RE: AC outlet max current

The code defines
"Continuous Load: A load where the maximum current is expected to continue
for 3 hours or more."
Plug use is not a condition of the definition. I think you will find this is
to limit the time and temperature of branch circuit cables and conduit to
conditions which will not degrade insulation.

Bob Johnson
ITE Safety