Sorry for the delay in replying.  It is clearly true that a given length of
wire oriented in a particular direction could result in minimal radiation
pick-up at some remote victim antenna.  But in the same spirit of maximizing
cable radiation during test, it is maxima for which we search.

The exact same situation arises in reverse with the relationship between
requirement 61000-4-3 and 61000-4-6.  If one were to measure the pick-up on
an EUT-connected cable during 61000-4-3, what would be observed would be
significant variation in current/potential as a function of frequency (and
indeed as a function of position on the cable itself at any single frequency
at which the cable is electrically long).

But the 61000-4-6 limit represents the maximum of what can be picked up;
there is no (futile) attempt to reproduce the precise pick-up at some point
or points on the cable at each frequency.

If a conducted emission cable bundle requirement were to be levied, it would
be based on the same considerations.  Note an important caveat, electrical
length.  61000-4-6 tailors the start frequency of the test according to
electrical length, recognizing that short cables are inefficient radiators.
The same could and should be applied to a cable-bundle emission requirement.