This is an an interesting sort of problem with a number of factors. (A
former manager used to turn gray when I called something "interesting.")
One might see a very slow longitudinal DC motion as charges pass over
elevated lines, sometimes enough to fire protectors. DSL equipment uses,
and is open to, spectrum presented by a discharge. And when protectors
fire, imbalance in their forward voltages or turn-on times can generate a
metallic component DSL transformers pass with little reduction. Overstress
damage is often cumulative and latent until final failure, and there ARE
places with more lightning than others. Florida comes to mind, and Texas.

And do we test protectors for SLOW rise times, or only to se if they're
FAST enough?

Cortland