From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Gary McInturff
Sent: 14 November 2003 18:46
To: Crabb, John; Ned Devine; IEEE EMC/Product Safety (IEEE, EMC/Product
Safety)
Subject: RE: Grounding

John,
        You are correct, but you have just presented the conundrum of the
thread.
        "Reliably grounded" can be determined through test - 25 or 30 amps
for a minute. A new hinge will likely pass that test. A "used" one may
likely fail because of the corrosion and wear discussed by others. So the
conundrum is do you test to get through the standard or do you use the
standard to help you design something which hopefully remains safe.
        Personally, I don't like hinges for grounds - PE or earth and for
the very cost sensitive it can be a real issue with the management guys and
bean counters.
        Gary