From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Ned Devine
Sent: 14 November 2003 15:29
To: IEEE EMC/Product Safety (IEEE, EMC/Product Safety)
Subject: Grounding

Hi,

I need some help.  I told someone that you can not depend on mechanical
contact only (i.e. in this case a door hinge) for protective earth.  Even if
it passes the test, it would still not be acceptable because it does not
meet the construction requirements.  He then asked me to show him were it
said that in the standard (IEC 60950-1 or IEC 60601-1).  I looked and could
not find it.  Am I just missing it, or is it not in the standards?

There is a reference in CSA standards to C22.2 No. 0.4 that has the
requirement, but I can not find a similar reference in UL or IEC standards.

Ned Devine
Program Manager III
Entela, Inc.
3033 Madison Ave. SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49548

Phone: 616 248 9671
Fax: 616 574 9752
e-mail: ndev...@entela.com
www.entela.com
1-800-888-3787
Web:  www.entela.com
Grand Rapids * Detroit * Boston * Toronto * Taipei