In message
<de87437fe365cb458c265ea3d73b6f1dd99...@xbc-mail1.xantrex.com>, dated
Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Ralph McDiarmid <ralph.mcdiar...@xantrex.com> writes
>Perhaps "resultant current" or "net RMS current" would have been better
>than "vector sum".  A vector sum implies to me, drawing the vectors and
>adding them graphically, or adding their real & imag rectangular
>components.

Vector summation takes phase into account, or, what is the same thing,
real and imaginary components.

>If I recall correctly, the RMS (effective) value is also the
>square-root of the algebraic sum of the squares of the magnitudes of
>the harmonic terms.

Yes, and eliminates phase information. That's why we have to put it back
in to calculate: power = VIcos[phi]

>I understand that these RCCB devices do this sum, presumably by a
>resultant flux in a magnetic circuit.

Now, how would a magnetic circuit calculate RMS values? (I wish it
could.)
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immoderately.

John Woodgate

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org