In message
<de87437fe365cb458c265ea3d73b6f1d013da...@xbc-mail1.xantrex.com>, dated
Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Jim Eichner <jim.eich...@xantrex.com> writes

>I am working on a standard for which a definition of Residual Current is
>needed.  I don't own any other standard that defines it, and I don't
>subscribe to the IEC electrotechnical vocabulary (perhaps I should). At
>any rate, I could use some help please.
>
>1. Does anyone have an official definition for me?  Please state your
>source.

There are several in the IEV, but see below. Some apply only to 3-phase
supplies without a neutral conductor.

>2. According to the standard for RCCB's, IEC 61008-1, here's the
>definition (translated from German to English by a colleague, so perhaps
>not verbatim from the English version of the standard):
>
>Residual current: "Vector sum of the actual values of the currents
>flowing in the main circuit of an RCCB"
>
>That seems like a pretty poor definition to me, as it is circular and a
>bit vague

It's close to the IEV definition 442-05-19:

r.m.s. value of the vector sum of the currents flowing through the main
circuit of the residual current device

But yes, your 'translator' had better not give up the day job. (;-)

>(I'm guessing "main circuit" should read "mains circuit" but
>still that could be interpreted to include the earth wire in which case
>it's incorrect).

No, 'main circuit' excludes the earth wire.

>I think the definition does not need to and should not make any
>reference to an RCCB, because residual current exists whether or not an
>RCCB is used, and using RCCB in the definition just requires a
>definition of RCCB, leading back to a need to define what Residual
>Current is.
>
>I think the definition should be something like this:
>
>"Residual Current: The vector sum of the currents in each phase and
>neutral (if applicable),

OK so far, and similar to another, but less satisfactory, IEV
definition, which says 'algebraic' instead of 'vector' and is thus not
really correct.

>which if non-zero indicates that current is
>returning to the source via a path other than the current-carrying
>conductors, which therefore indicates a potential shock hazard."

Such words of explanation are not permitted in an IEV definition.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immoderately.

John Woodgate

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org