In regard to Fred Townsend's comment: I am aware that diodes will normally
fail shorted.  However, even in this state, they provide some current
limiting.  The internal construction can only pass a given amount of
current before the diode will open.  I have, however, seen a few poorly
designed circuits where there was no fuse on the input.  The available
fault current was high enough that after the diode shorted out from the
overcurrent, it suffered from thermal damage and became an open circuit.
Even when the diode fails shorted, there is some resistance as noted which
will provide at least some current limiting.

In regards to Robert Johnson's comments: I work in an industry where we
have numerous field wired ITE products.  I have products that are on a 50 A
branch circuit.  The available fault current can be very high.  The
selection of fuse for the switch-mode power supply is critical.  Even with
a common mode choke providing some protection, I have seen fault currents
over 200 A when there is a component short after the diode bridge.  Some of
the small, circuit board mounted fuses have an AIC rating of only 50 A and
they do not fail gracefully under worse conditions.  I agree that most ITE
will not be exposed to high fault currents, but this is not always the
case.

Ted Eckert
American Power Conversion/MGE
http://www.apc.com/

The items contained in this e-mail reflect the personal opinions of the
writer and are only provided for the assistance of the reader. The writer
is not speaking in an official capacity for APC, MGE or Schneider Electric.
The speaker does not represent APC's, MGE's or Schneider Electric's
official position on any matter.

             Fred Townsend
             <fred@dctolight.n
             et>                                                        To
             Sent by:                  ted.eck...@apcc.com
             emc-p...@ieee.org                                          cc
                                       emc-p...@ieee.org
                                                                   Subject
             03/17/2007 01:55          Re: Electrolytic Capacitors in
             AM                        Primary Circuits

See comments below.

ted.eck...@apcc.com wrote:
      I have to agree with Mr. Woodgate that the components between the
      capacitor
      and the AC mains make a difference.  The available fault current on
      the AC
      mains can be very high.  It may be 1 kA, 10 kA or even more.  A
      component
      failure due to a short circuit can be very dramatic.  The rectifier
      alone
      will likely limit the fault current.  If nothing else, the diodes
      will act
      as fuses.  You could design a rectifier circuit that would allow a
      high
      fault current, but you would have to set out to do so and you would
      spend a
      lot of money in the process.

Ted:
I have seen literally thousands of diode failures, mostly from lightning
damage. I have never seen a silicon power diode fuse (open). They always
fail shorted at about two ohms. When they fail the surge limiting resistor
becomes very important. That's where they sometimes use 'fusible
resistors'. Shorted diodes often cause secondary failures instead of
protecting anything.

Fred Townsend
DC to Light

      Besides, proper abnormal condition testing will involve simulating a
      short
      circuit on the electrolytic capacitor.  The purpose of the test is to
      verify that the system fails gracefully when the capacitor shorts
      out.  You
      can't easily do this test on a capacitor directly across the line.
      The
      results of shorting out the X-capacitor are heavily dependent on the
      supply
      circuit.

      Ted Eckert
      American Power Conversion/MGE
      http://www.apc.com/

      The items contained in this e-mail reflect the personal opinions of
      the
      writer and are only provided for the assistance of the reader. The
      writer
      is not speaking in an official capacity for APC, MGE or Schneider
      Electric.
      The speaker does not represent APC's, MGE's or Schneider Electric's
      official position on any matter.

                   John Woodgate

                   <jmw@jmwa.demon.c

                   o.uk>
                   Sent by:                  emc-p...@ieee.org

                   emc-p...@ieee.org
      cc

      Subject
                   03/16/2007 03:23          Re: Electrolytic Capacitors in

                   PM                        Primary Circuits

      In message
      <be3336be85968d49be01e66d6e365b1e01b5a...@sjc1amfpew01.am.sanm.corp>,
      dated Fri, 16 Mar 2007, "Tarver, Peter"
      <peter.tar...@sanmina-sci.com>
      writes:

            ยง1.5.6 looks at X and Y capacitors, and those connected between
            the
            primary circuit and earth.  The cathode of the electrolytic
            capacitor
            might not connect to earth, unless the bottom end of the
            rectifier is
            earthed.  If it doesn't connect to earth, no exception is
            needed.

      I thin a little clarification is necessary. Between the mains
      conductors
      and the filter capacitor are, typically, a fuse, a common-mode choke,
      rectifier diode or a bridge rectifier and a resistor to limit inrush
      current. In no case that I can envisage is the filter capacitor
      connected to both mains conductors. In fact, that would probably
      cause
      it to explode.
      There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root
      of 2.

      List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

           Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
           Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

           David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com

      List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

           Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
           Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

           David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: