In message
<b11802460b4f4b4e963b51adf2fae08b04c4a...@usmafrexmb02.bose.com>, dated
Mon, 19 Mar 2007, "Tyra, John" <john_t...@bose.com> writes:

>Seems pretty clear to me but, since these are not legal modifications
>to the standard(s) in questions, it depends on the Agency you are
>dealing with as to whether they are willing to accept these decisions.

OSM interpretations are valid in Europe unless, in a particular case, a
test house can give valid reason(s) to reject it. And many are adopted
by CENELEC as official interpretations by CENELEC TC108.

However, this particular interpretation can be a bit misleading insofar
as it concentrates on reasoning related to overvoltage (installation
categories) rather than to single-fault input current, which is what the
agency may have in mind.

The agency in question should take into account that every power supply
made has an electrolytic capacitor after the rectifier and there are no
safety-related 'approvals' for these capacitors when subjected to
alternating supply.
There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com