From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of
pat.law...@slpower.com
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 4:29 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: Electrolytic Capacitors in Primary Circuits

Hi Jody:

UL 60950-1 1st Ed., clause 1.5.6 ('Capacitors in primary circuits')
says:
'A capacitor connected between two line conductors of the PRIMARY
CIRCUIT, or between one line conductor and the neutral conductor, shall
comply with IEC 60384-14:1993, subclass X1 or X2.'

The electrolytic capacitor you mentioned is connected between the
rectifier '+' and '-', not between line conductors.

I always though it interesting that a 0.1uF film cap connected across
the line conductors going into a rectifier had to be safety-rated.  But
if you move it to the output side of the rectifier, there's no safety
rating required.

Pat Lawler
SL Power Electronics Corp.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html