> From: Aldous, Scott
> Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 9:48 AM

Looking over the two versions of the standard, I can see that you're
correctly interpreting the 1st ed., but the 2nd ed. text changed things
all over the place in the insulation area.  I don't know if that was
MT2's intent, but that's the effect of either their intent or bad
standards writing leading to misinterpretations.

At the risk of the wrath of the Gods on Mount Copyright, I'm going to
directly quote the standard, so we can better review the text and work
through an exercise, based on the 2nd ed. text.

"For an AC MAINS SUPPLY not exceeding 300 V r.m.s. (420 V peak):

"a) if the PEAK WORKING VOLTAGE does not exceed the peak value of the AC
MAINS SUPPLY voltage, minimum CLEARANCES are determined from Table 2K;"

That seems plain enough; if the peak voltage across the insulation being
evaluated is less than or equal to the peak voltage of the ac mains,
only Table 2K applies.  Let's say we're at 420 Vpk:

Va = 420 Vpk, clearance = 4.0 mm for RI

A minor rearrangement:

"For an AC MAINS SUPPLY not exceeding 300 V r.m.s. (420 V peak):

"b) if the PEAK WORKING VOLTAGE exceeds the peak value of the AC MAINS
SUPPLY voltage, ..."

If we have an ac mains rated up to 300 V (420 Vpk), and we measure a
peak voltage across a piece of insulation in the primary circuit at 421
Vpk ...

" ... the minimum CLEARANCE is the sum of the following two values:
* the minimum CLEARANCE from Table 2K; and
* the appropriate additional CLEARANCE from Table 2L"

What then have is:

Vb = 421 Vpk, clearance = 4.1 mm (interpolating and rounding up to the
nearest 0.1 mm) + 0.6 mm (interpolating and rounding up to the nearest
0.1 mm) = 4.7 mm.

I'm saying that the 2nd ed. is looking only at the peak voltage across
the insulation as the fulcrum where one derives the appropriate
clearance and sets aside the (clearer) method from the 1st ed.

> [SCOTT]: It would seem that we may be on the same page,
> though perhaps I did not explain myself clearly after all.
> So in the end, I still feel the conclusion offered by Nick's
> customer is not correct.  Do you agree?  I'm not completely
> sure that you do - it seems the point we still may disagree
> on is what peak voltage to use when applying table 2K to the
> point in Nick's circuit where the 840Vpk is present.

If we are to take an historical perspective, Nick's customer *might* be
incorrect and what we see in the 2nd ed. is the result of bad standards
writing.  However, considering the present text in a vacuum, Nick's
customer's interpretation seems correct.  Considering all of the other
bleepity-bleep bleeps MT2 threw into the clearance and creepage
requirements for the 2nd ed., you may be entirely right and Nick's
customer wrong.

The more I think about it, the more I think MT2 blew it.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
ptar...@ieee.org

CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail message and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by
the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
message, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail message, and any attachments thereto, is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the original and any
copies of this email and any prints thereof.
ABSENT AN EXPRESS STATEMENT TO THE CONTRARY HEREINABOVE, THIS E-MAIL IS NOT
INTENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR A WRITING.  Notwithstanding the Uniform
Electronic Transactions Act or the applicability of any other law of similar
substance and effect, absent an express statement to the contrary hereinabove,
this e-mail message its contents, and any attachments hereto are not intended
to represent an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and are not
otherwise intended to bind the sender, Sanmina-SCI Corporation (or any of its
subsidiaries), or any other person or entity.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com