Thanks Peter for your comments.  Mine interspersed below.

Scott Aldous
Compliance Engineer
Advanced Energy
Tel: 970-407-6872
Fax: 970-407-5872

> I wonder what peak working voltage should be used in table 2K
> - the actual peak voltage or the peak voltage based on the
> mains rms voltage?

[PETER]: If you look at the leading ¶s in §2.10.3.3, you can see answer to
that question.

[SCOTT]: I'm not sure I follow what you mean.

[PETER]: Table 2K is written assuming the peak voltage is exclusively from the
ac mains.

[SCOTT]: Exactly.  Which is why I wonder if only the AC mains peak voltage
should be used when deriving a clearance from this table (except for the last
line of 2.10.3.3 which provides the exception).

[PETER]: The other peak working voltages (nee: peak repetitive voltages) are
>from  primary circuit monkey business, but isn't new (see 60950-1, 1st ed,
§2.10.3.2, Tables 2H and 2J).

[SCOTT]: Correct, and the previous standard specifically states in 2.10.3.2
(first 2 dashes) that the clearance is the sum of:

- the minimum CLEARANCE value from table 2H ****for a WORKING VOLTAGE equal to
the AC MAINS SUPPLY voltage****; and
- the appropriate additional CLEARANCE value from table 2J.

Pay particular attention to the verbiage between the asterisks that I added.

[PETER]: It depends on where the insulation is that the working voltage is
measured across.  Before the rectifier in a SMPS, which is similar to your
example, it would be appropriate to ignore Table 2L altogether.  In this case,
the minimum Clearance for Reinforced Insulation is 4.0 mm.

Much deeper into an SMPS from the rectifier, peak repetitive voltage crop up
that exceed those from the ac mains.

[SCOTT]: This seems like a better explanation than I have offered, but much
the same as my own thoughts.  I don't believe this contradicts the
interpretation I have offered.  In general, one would expect to find a peak
voltage higher than the standard mains peak only a bit deeper into the
circuitry.  I would assume that this is the case for Nick's example.  Where
such peaks exist, it would make sense to add the additional clearance from
table 2L to the base clearance from table 2K based on the mains peak voltage
only.  In this case 4.0mm + 1.2mm for a total of 5.2mm.

> Then, for the 400V mains, one would use table 2K only, based
> on 840Vpk, giving 6.4mm for reinforced.

[PETER]: But where is the 840 Vpk coming from and where is it measured?  Not
the ac mains, which for a 400 V supply is 566 Vpk, leading to a or 4.8 mm
interpolated value (or 6.4 mm noninterpolated).  Assuming the 840 Vpk is in
the SMPS somewhere, 6.4 mm would apply only where it's present.

[SCOTT]: I think your interpretation above is correct, and coincides with what
I have offered.

> More intuitive, but is this the proper interpretation?

[PETER]: I'd say not improper, but maybe not complete.

[SCOTT]: It would seem that we may be on the same page, though perhaps I did
not explain myself clearly after all.  So in the end, I still feel the
conclusion offered by Nick's customer is not correct.  Do you agree?  I'm not
completely sure that you do - it seems the point we still may disagree on is
what peak voltage to use when applying table 2K to the point in Nick's circuit
where the 840Vpk is present.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
ptar...@ieee.org

CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail message and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by
the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
message, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail message, and any attachments thereto, is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the original and any
copies of this email and any prints thereof.
ABSENT AN EXPRESS STATEMENT TO THE CONTRARY HEREINABOVE, THIS E-MAIL IS NOT
INTENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR A WRITING.  Notwithstanding the Uniform
Electronic Transactions Act or the applicability of any other law of similar
substance and effect, absent an express statement to the contrary hereinabove,
this e-mail message its contents, and any attachments hereto are not intended
to represent an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and are not
otherwise intended to bind the sender, Sanmina-SCI Corporation (or any of its
subsidiaries), or any other person or entity.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com

This message, including any attachments, may contain
information that is confidential and proprietary information
of Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.  The dissemination,
distribution, use or copying of this message or any of its
attachments is strictly prohibited without the express
written consent of Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html