In message <4946d305.3020...@sbcglobal.net>, dated Mon, 15 Dec 2008,
Fred Townsend <ftowns...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

>The academic view is strange.

I don't think that 'strange' is the right word.

>I will never forget an advanced amplifier design class where I was
>supposed to calculate the proper value of a bypass capacitor. The
>'correct' answer was 87.5 microfarads. Never mind you can't buy an 87.5
>uF cap and therefore the design is unrealizable until proper
>tolerancing is applied.

Academics, even teaching engineering, mostly do science rather than
engineering. They don't bother with practical details, and in many
cases, don't even know about what standard component values are
available. I've met two 'engineering graduates (one English, one French)
who calculated resistor values to 1 part in 10^4 or so, and made the
values up from series-parallel combinations of standard parts. They had
never even HEARD of tolerances, let alone preferred values.

Science says '87.5 uF'; engineering says 'Maybe a 100 uF will do, even
at -20% tolerance. Let's try it.'

All these closing-downs have been caused by dozing clowns

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>