From: lfresea...@aol.com [mailto:lfresea...@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:34 PM
To: Deniz Demirci; b...@toprudder.com; emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: Calibration supplier for signal generator with pulse modulation

Hi Deniz,

what entity is going to do something of little value unless forced to? Of
course MU is done for auditing reasons. Very few tests require it in EMC..
Please do not bring up radio tests, I'm referring to EMC.

Clause 5.4.1 states...  ".....and, where appropriate, an estimation of the
measurement uncertainty as well as statistical techniques for analysis of test
and/or calibration data."

If you are ASKED to do MU outside of this it's either because your assessing
body is over zealous, or your assessor is uneducated. You must push back and
say NO! Failure to do this is punishing your client, and more important the
consumer, which includes me and I'm taxed enough already!

I wouldn't consider myself a novice in MU, or EMC testing, but I can learn.
That said, I have yet to see a genuine advantage for MU improving measurement.
What does calculating MU have to do with quantifying accuracy? All it does is
put windows about what you might be measuring.

Now, here's a chance to back a stance by a fellow assessor who has campaigned
for ( and I support his idea ) that ISO 17025 should be split into two
documents: one for test, the other for calibration. I wholeheartedly support
the addressing of MU in the calibration document, and there being NO mention in
the test document. ( Dan, if your reading, these are my words not yours... )

Cheers,

Derek.