Hi Deniz,

this is where "real" EMI guys differ from Metrology guys. We really don't need
to be piddling with little numbers.... with the exception of frequency. Most
of these modulations are compromises, and measuring a compromise accurately is
a silly thing to do: in reality.

You may want to get on board with the proof of the pudding phrase, it's OK in
EMI: otherwise we expend all sorts of effort for no VALUE in return. The
compliance world is obsessed with meeting a number, when the REAL reason for
doing this testing is to ensure successful operation in use.

I strongly disagree with Gerts statement MU is simple, it's not. Of the 140+
labs I've visited as an assessor, only a handful have a valid effort, and less
than 1/2 doz believe it was of real value.

Precision and EMI do not go together. I for one like it like that. Whats
really needed is a competent individual with adequate equipment.

If a committee would like MU, then as test labs we should isolate the cost
that adds, and identify it on peoples invoices when that test is run. It's an
effective way of making the standard unpopular.

The reason I'm on a soap box about this is because unless silly requiremnts
like this re CHALLENGED, and not just carte-blanche accepted, they become
requirements. For calibration, I believe MU is useful, but for EMI, it has no
place.

Sincerely,

Derek.