While the essential thrust of this is correct, in a fit of pedantry I
feel I must correct a couple of nuances...

The directives distinguish between 'placing on the market" and
"putting into service" - it's not quite as simple as saying that one
equates to the other, which is why (for instance) it is not necessary
to CE mark products made for the manufacturer's own use under the EMC
Directive (although they still have to meet the essential
requirements).

The workplace safety requirements come from the Work Equipment
Directive 89/655/EEC (although this Directive comes itself from the
Health and Safety Directive 89/391/EEC). The Work Equipment Directive
does not actually require products to be CE marked, it requires them
to comply with any applicable Essential Requirements from any of the
CE marking directives.

Usually these distinctions are academic, but one does occasionally
come across circumstances where they are important.

Nick.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>